Guatemala – Midwife Training Program
For centuries, Guatemalans have relied on midwives to assist mothers during pregnancy and childbirth; today, midwives still attend 90% of all rural births. However, many of these midwives receive only basic training, with little to no preparation for high-risk pregnancies, and many preventable deaths take place every year. Guatemala has one of the highest rates for child and maternal mortality in Latin America, especially among the rural, indigenous Mayan population.
The total cost of the program is $90,000 a year.
Your Gift Makes a Big Difference!
- Save the lives of mothers and babies who are dying needlessly.
- Provide midwives with education and training to recognize the factors that lead to fatal complications.
- Give indigenous people better access to health services.
- Break down the cultural myths and barriers that prevent rural people from seeking professional health services.
- Improve nutrition for mothers, babies, and children.
Search for other projects